Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Protein Myth

I promise, more recipes are coming. It's been nearly too busy this week to cook anything, much less anything worth sharing. Forgive me, Father, for I have eaten popcorn and canned soup at dinner this week at least once. Each.

I did, however, get to read an informative page at The Veggie Table which has a very straightforward breakdown of some of the myths about protein - namely, that it's difficult for one to obtain complete proteins in a vegan or vegetarian diet. Not only do we not need as much protein as many of us think, but it turns out there's a long list of food combinations that a lot of us already eat by choice that provide perfectly complete proteins. Cool. (Please pass me the tortillas and refried beans!)

I'm bookmarking the page, because I haven't yet memorized these combinations, being that I'm a relatively new 90 Percenter; now that I've gotten to eating low on the food chain again, I know the trick to staying with it will be making sure I'm careful to stay on top of nutritional needs on a daily basis so I never "crave" my old friend meat in the first place.

And indeed, my small, simple can of pea-based soup from tonight wouldn't have given me what I need on its own, but with the slice of wheat bread recommended alongside it, what do you know? I'm totally sated.

1 comment:

  1. Popcorn and canned soup in the same week? Such heavy sins, My Child. Go thy way and sin no more. Ego te absolvo

    ReplyDelete